When: Saturday, March 9th at 10am (until 12pm)
Where: Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf inside the Little Tokyo Galleria
333 S Alameda St. (Suite 108)
Los Angeles, CA 90013
NOTE: Parking Garage entrance is on Alameda between 3rd and 4th
What about: Massimo Pigliucci’s How to Be Stoic, Part I (“The Discipline of Desire: What it is proper to want or not to want”)
- Ch. 3 (pp. 29-45): Some Things Are in Our Power, Others Are Not
- Ch. 4 (pp. 47-61): Living According to Nature
- Ch. 5 (pp. 63-77): Playing Ball With Socrates
- Ch. 6 (pp. 79-91): God or Atoms?
PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU REALLY NEED A PDF OF THE READING
This month’s reading amounts to “Part I” of Pigliucci’s book, which elaborates upon the “Discipline of Desire” (a.k.a. Stoic Acceptance) and the area of study the Stoics called “Physics” (including what we today call the natural sciences, physics, metaphysics, and theology), both concepts introduced in Ch. 2.
In terms of preparing, please …
- select a passage or two to share and discuss;
- think of questions to propose (or answer) or await a list of questions that I tend to provide in a post on this website before our meeting; and
- contact me if you would like to ensure we cover something that you find particularly meaningful.
See you then!
— Justin K.