EVENT DETAILS (2020)
Stoicon-X Los Angeles is a mini-conference held in Los Angeles in the spirit of (and in collaboration with) Modern Stoicism’s larger Stoicon event. Both conferences are held in order to discuss Stoic philosophy and its application to everyday challenges of modern living.
[ due to public health concerns over the global pandemic, Stoicon-X Los Angeles 2020 will now be taking place as a virtual online conference ]
Event Date: Saturday October 10, 10am-2pm
Event Location: ONLINE via Zoom
- Invitation Link: Event is TBA on Meetup.com (stay tuned)
- Meeting Password: RSVP at Meetup.com to receive the meeting password
NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS OF PRESENTATIONS!
The Los Angeles Stoics want anyone who is enthusiastic about Stoic philosophy and Stoic practice to come forward and submit an idea of a presentation they might want to give during Stoicon-X Los Angeles.
Here are the details:
- Submission Deadline: Saturday August 8, 2020
- Speakers should be …
- Available to speak in person or through video conferencing on Saturday, October 10, 2020 between 10 am and 2 pm.
- somewhat experienced in practicing/discussing Stoicism with a group (preference will be given to active members of the Los Angeles Stoics)
- Presentations should be …
- Either 18 minutes long (think of a TED Talk) or just 5 minutes long (a lightning talk)
- Supplemented with some visual medium, such as a slideshow or handout
- Based on a thesis—nothing formal, just a point that you want to get across to your listeners. Your thesis should be supported by an argument—again, nothing formal, just a few reasons in support of your thesis that you’ve drawn from Stoic texts or from your own experiences.
- [Don’t hesitate to submit presentations that are unconventional, as long as they are clearly related to Stoicism]
Please email your ‘thesis’ along with a brief outline of your proposed presentation to Justin Kitchen at firstname.lastname@example.org preferably no later than August 8th. And please specify whether your presentation will be 5 or 18-minutes long.