OPTION 1: Early Socratic Dialogues of Plato, specifically…
OPTION 2: Socratic works of Xenophon:
The works of one of the popular Roman Stoics…
- OPTION 3: Seneca’s Moral Letters [to Lucilius] (we would use an abridged version titled Letters From a Stoic)
- OPTION 4: Musonius Rufus’s Lectures and Sayings
- [ Epictetus’s Discourses is temporarily off the menu since we’ve been drawing heavily from his work since last October ]
- OPTION 5: Marcus Aurelius’s Meditations
OR, a popular modern introduction to Stoicism:
- OPTION 6: Tad Brennan’s The Stoic Life (2005)
- OPTION 7: John Sellar’s Stoicism (2006)
- OPTION 8: William Irvine’s A Guide to the Good Life (2008)
- one of Robert Donaldson’s books —
- OPTION 11: Ward Farnsworth’s The Practicing Stoic (2018)
A lot of options. If you have an opinion, comment below, email me at lastoics[at]gmail[dot]com, or let me know at our next meeting (June 8)! See you then.
— Justin K.