- Regular meetings usually occur every 2ND SATURDAY of the month at 9am in person
- NOTE: The August “Regular Meeting” is on the 2ND SUNDAY instead of Saturday.
- Theory meetings usually occur every 4TH TUESDAY of the month at 6pm online
- Special meetings occur sporadically (see below)
- Receive announcements and reminders through Meetup, Patreon, or the mailing list
COVID-19 DISCLAIMER: Over the past year, the group hosted events online using Zoom. We are now slowly transitioning back to in-person meetings (while preserving some online events for those that prefer them). In-person meeting attendees should be fully vaccinated (i.e., vaccine plus booster) to ensure the safety of our fellow Angelinos. Masks are not required if you are fully vaccinated since we are holding meetings outdoors, but they are recommended as a means to foster peace-of-mind. Please be patient and don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have questions, concerns, or suggestions. — Justin K.
NEXT REGULAR MEETING! ― Stoicism and Emotions (Pt. 1)
When: Sunday, Aug. 14th at 9am (until 11am) [Sunday instead of our usual Saturday]
Where: IN-PERSON in the Elysian Park Arboretum near the playground at Stadium Way and Elysian Park Dr… BYOC/B [i.e., “Bring your own chairs or blankets” … most of the public tables are in the sun, so instead we will take our chairs and remain cool in the shade of a California Live Oak tree].
What about: Long-time L.A. Stoic Matt G. will be discussing the notion of “emotion” (pathos), “freedom from emotions” (apatheia), “good emotion” (eupatheia), and “pre-emotion” (propatheia). Please read the selection of Seneca’s Letters (below). If you have time and enthusiasm for more, also take a look at the text by Margaret Graver.
– Seneca’s Letters 11, 57, 72, 99, 116 (Here the public domain translation by Robert Gummere: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q4v3kbjQIDqe6oMVy8ivas_d08MzivVDvOFjxpSgs4I/edit?usp=sharing)
– OPTIONAL: Graver’s Stoicism and Emotion Ch. 4 (“Feelings without Assent”): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K_jbqqsniVXkLH5AUIBKvjypQRq8cChV/view?usp=sharing
COVID-19 Safety Measures: The meeting location is outdoors and spacious enough for social distancing. If you are NOT fully vaccinated (with booster) or are feeling ill at all, please stay home and email me. We can still have a thoughtful discussion—perhaps in an online version of the meeting. Those who ARE fully vaccinated with booster are unlikely to transmit COVID in an outdoor setting and are unlikely to get seriously ill if they do. That being said, everyone is welcome to wear their mask and will certainly not be discouraged or judged.
PLEASE CONTACT THE FACILITATOR (email@example.com) IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS.
PLEASE CONTACT THE FACILITATOR (firstname.lastname@example.org) IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP FACILITATE AN ONLINE VERSION OF THIS MEETING FOR THOSE THAT CAN’T ATTEND IN-PERSON.
See you then! –Justin & Matt
NEXT THEORY MEETING! ― Spinoza and the Stoics Introduction
When: Tuesday, August 23rd at 6pm (until 8pm)
Where: ONLINE via Zoom [the registration link will be provided through Meetup, Patreon, and the mailing list]
REGISTER EARLY: Some new procedures are being implemented to ensure the meeting is a safe space to have discussions. Please register early—especially if this is your first meeting. Make sure to provide your full name when registering and then, if this is your first meeting, email the host (Justin) at email@example.com … He will not provide you with the Zoom ‘join link’ or admit you from the Waiting Room unless he recognizes your name.
What about: This meeting will be centered around the Introduction to Jon Miller’s Spinoza and the Stoics (2018).
Reading for this month:
– Use this PDF of the Introduction to Miller’s book: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N9w1l7EOV1bTUeNmad8rYop_pfXNmFLG/view?usp=sharing
– OPTIONAL: If you would like more context on Spinoza after reading the Introduction, here is the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on him: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spinoza/
How to Register:
- You must register for the “Theory Meeting” every month using the Zoom ‘registration link’ (through Meetup, Patreon, or the mailing list). Provide your full name (first and last) in the registration form.
- NEW MEMBERS: If this is your first L.A. Stoics meeting, email the facilitator (Justin) at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email you used to register and introduce yourself. The facilitator will reply to your email and then manually approve the registration.
- Once approved, a ‘join link’ (along with more info) will be emailed to you that is unique to that month’s meeting and to you (i.e., no sharing)
- If you are having trouble, please email email@example.com and the facilitator will help you out!
NEXT SPECIAL MEETING! ― TBD
When: September TBD
What about: TBD
For more info, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
AGAIN, PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS. ―Justin K.