- Regular meetings occur every 2ND SATURDAY of the month at 9am
- Theory meetings occur every 4TH WEDNESDAY of the month at 6pm
- Special meetings occur sporadically (see below)
COVID-19 DISCLAIMER: Instead of meeting in-person, I am hosting events using Zoom. This is free and easy to use—just RSVP as usual and then follow the invite link in the meeting descriptions on Meetup.com. In the meantime, stay healthy, avoid catastrophic thinking, keep in mind the ‘dichotomy of control‘, support your small businesses however you can, and protect our vulnerable population by following city and state guidelines. — Justin K.
NEXT REGULAR MEETING! [RSVP HERE]
When: Saturday, Dec. 12th at 9am (until 11am)
Where: ONLINE VIA ZOOM (RSVP at Meetup.com to access the invite link)
- Seneca the Younger’s “Moral Letters to Lucilius“, Letters 56, 63, 65, 77, 78
Note on Translation: We’ll be following the selection of letters found in the the Penguin Classic’s “Letters from a Stoic” trans. Robin Campbell (1969)… You may use that translation, the public domain translation by Gummere (1925), OR any other translation that you prefer.
PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
In terms of preparing for the main discussion, you may…
- select a passage or two to share and discuss;
- think of questions to propose (or answer) and/or
- email me in advance at lastoics[at]gmail[dot]com if you would like to ensure we cover something that you find particularly meaningful.
See you then!
— Justin K.
NEXT THEORY MEETING! [RSVP HERE]
When: Wednesday, Dec. 23rd at 6pm (until 8pm)
Where: ONLINE VIA ZOOM (RSVP at Meetup.com to receive the meeting password)
What about: Pierre Hadot’s Inner Citadel (1998) (OVERVIEW)
- We have finished reading the book and are taking this last meeting of 2020 to review it in its entirety and discuss the most important themes and ideas. Also, we will likely discuss options for the next reading, so please come with suggestions.
PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU NEED A PDF OF THE READING
In terms of preparing, you should read as much as you can (though you don’t need to do the entire reading to get something out of these meetings!). At the very least, …
- select a few passages to share and discuss;
- think of questions to propose (or answer) and/OR
- email me in advance (lastoics[at]gmail[dot]com) if you would like to ensure we cover something that you find particularly meaningful.
See you then!
— Justin K.
NEXT SPECIAL MEETING!